I think I might have broken my finger reblogging this.
She just stared for the longest time.
OMG…I love this. This is important.
v important! representation matters more than words can express
but this picture about sums it up :)
spagka asked: how do you think Pride should go about aiding non cis gays?
A few things off the top of my head…
Pick a theme that’s relevant to local queers.
The theme for Pride this year was “Free to Love.” As explained by the Chair in the booklet, “Free to Love is about celebrating the rights and freedoms that many of us in Ottawa enjoy, while standing with those for whom the struggle continues.”
They’re referring to struggles abroad. Like most cisgays, they are wholly oblivious to how messed up things are in Ottawa if you’re not among their highly privileged ranks.
The rampant transphobia on Ottawa’s streets. The 40% of homeless youth in Ottawa who are queer. The elderly queers who have to go back in the closet for the nursing homes. The ableism, sexism, fat-shaming, racism, stigmas, transmysoginy and cissexism that’s rampant in our own communities.
Be the community you represent.
The board of directors are all cisgays.
Have French content.
A third of the queers in Ottawa are Francophone yet all the support groups, workshops, and events are exclusively in English. At most someone will sometimes say a few opening words in French before going back to English, or say in English how someone can ask a question at the end of their English-only event in French if they want.
Pride’s idea of being accessible to francophones is to translate their schedule for their events in French in their booklet. All the events are, of course, really in English. At most someone will say a few token words in French at a flag raising.
Disallow prison themed-events.
Pride this year has “Penal Code Weekend” and “Incarceration BBQ.” These are not to show solidarity and they’re not relevant to the events occurring within its scope, like the really cool Ottawa Pup.
If you have enough good fortune for prison to be a laughing matter, great. But it isn’t so for many queers out there, including those that this event is supposed to include.
Do activism that matters.
Their idea of activism are to hold vigils.
Being in the same space in silence for a few minutes doesn’t change anything. It doesn’t make you more aware. It doesn’t make others more aware. It just makes its participants feel better about themselves over a subject most of them don’t even comprehend.
So how do you do activism that matters?
Have events that can actually make a difference for trans people.
A clothing swap. Workshops on strategies for coping with harassment/workplace/home. Discussions for post-op folk for themselves. Discussions for others who are pre-HRT. Tutorials for binding for people who can’t afford binders, prosthetic boob making crafting sessions for transfeminine folk, packer crafting sessions for transmasculine folk.
A mixer for established trans activists to speak to each other doesn’t accomplish anything. Have lawyers on hand to do free sign offs on paperwork.
Have events that can actually make a difference for queer people.
The sex ed workshop school never gave you. Coming out to your parents. Dealing with ageing whilst queer. Support groups for those looking to start a new family.
Have blocks for free therapy sessions. Distribute information for resources people can turn to.
Use existing platforms to spread awareness.
They have all these events - flag raisings, movie nights - use them to give space to voices that need to be heard to make a difference. Don’t just jump into a movie, have a minute set aside before each event for awareness raising.
The microphone is there. Use it.
How cool would it be if POWER got to speak at the flag raisings? And Families of Sisters in Spirit? Instead of just another cisgay saying how things are good for them?
Don’t just say it, do it.
There’s a movie night talking about how difficult it is for queer asylum seekers. Heck it’s also the theme for the whole thing - yet there’s no events aimed at new Canadians. This duality between what they say they care about (all queers) and who they actually target (cisgays) is evident all throughout the week-long event, including at this.
I counted sixty two faces in the photos of the booklet they gave. They were almost all cisgays, two straight people doing drag, and three drag queens. I didn’t see a single trans person. I saw three queer youth. I didn’t see a queer elderly person. Or a fat person. They were almost all white.
Fuck yeah party! Pride does that right.
Check la traduction française de leur dépliant pour des lols
- “baiser la morue”? Bahaha c’est dla bestialité
- ” engins de fétiche ” … Genre un moteur en cuir attaché à mon cou?
Hahaha Capital(ist) Pride
malcolm in the middle was the realest show
Sharing via TEDxGateway
There’s no point to a guy yelling, “Hey sexy baby” at me out of the passenger window of a car as it speeds past. Even if I was into creepy misogynists and wanted to give him my number, I couldn’t. The car didn’t even slow down. But that’s okay, because he wasn’t actually hitting on me. The point wasn’t to proposition me or chat me up. The only point was to remind me, and all women, that our bodies are his to stare at, assess, comment on, even touch. “Hey sexy baby” is the first part of a sentence that finishes, “this is your daily message from the patriarchy, reminding you that your body is public property”.
--My First Name Ain’t Baby: ‘Hey Baby’ and Street Harassment (via official-mens-frights-activist)
To start off Birth Control Appreciation Day, I decided to make an informative masterpost on contraceptives! I hope this helps anyone who may want more information on their birth control or someone trying to decide what kind of birth control is best for themselves! Happy (birth control) hunting! - PaigeDIFFERENT TYPES OF BIRTH CONTROL:
- Birth Control Pills - [x] [x]
- Mini Pill (Progesterone-only Pill) - [x]
- The Patch (Ortho Evra) - [x] [x]
- The Shot (Depo-Provera) - [x] [x]
- Birth Control Sponge - [x] [x]
- Vaginal Ring (Nuva Ring) - [x] [x]
- Spermicide - [x] [x]
- Implant (Implanon and Nexplanon) - [x] [x]
- IUDs (Mirena, Skyla, and ParaGard) - [x] [x]
- Condoms (Male and Female) - [x]
- Withdrawal (Pullout Method) - [x] [x]
- Diaphragm - [x] [x]
- Breastfeeding - [x]
- Cervical Cap - [x] [x]
- Sterilization (Male and Female) - [x]
- Abstinence - [x] [x]
- Fertility Awareness-Based Methods (FAMs) - [x] [x]COMMON QUESTIONS ABOUT BIRTH CONTROL:
- Do certain medications make my birth control less effective?
- Can I delay or eliminate my period with my birth control?
- Will my pregnancy tests come out with an accurate result while I’m on birth control?
- Can I use several birth control pills at once in replace of an emergency contraceptive?
- Does birth control cause weight gain?
- What should I do if I miss a pill?
- What should I do if the condom breaks or slips off inside of me?
- If I’m on the ring or the patch and I forget to replace it on the right day, do I need to use backup?
- I’ve heard that the birth control ring can pop out. What should I do if this happens?
- Can birth control increase my risk of getting cancer?
- Can you change your mind after having a tubal ligation or vasectomy?
- Is it normal to spot or bleed in between periods while on birth control?
- Does certain hormonal birth controls affect my blood pressure?
- Can being overweight affect my birth control’s effectiveness?
- Can certain birth controls lower my libido?EMERGENCY CONTRACEPTIVES:
- Types of EC: Plan B / Ella / ParaGard IUD - [x] [x]
- What are emergency contraceptives?
- How do they work?
- How well does it work?
- What are the side effects?
- When should I take an emergency contraceptive?
- Are emergency contraceptives less effective the heavier you are?
- If I am under the age of 18 in the US, can I buy emergency contraceptives without my parent’s knowledge or consent?
- If I take an emergency contraceptive today, am I covered if I have unprotected sex tomorrow?
- Will taking emergency contraceptives too many times affect my fertility?
- To find more questions and answers about emergency contraceptives, you can go here.
- Información anticonceptivos de emergencia es disponible en Español, aquí.OPTIONS FOR PEOPLE WITH ALLERGIES AND/OR CERTAIN
- Condoms for people with latex allergies.
- Condoms for vegans. [x] [x] [x]
- Other vegan contraceptive options.
- Different types of birth control without estrogen.
- Contraceptives without any hormones.
- Birth control methods that are useful to people with religious concerns. [x] [x]OTHER BENEFITS OF TAKING BIRTH CONTROL:
- Taking oral contraceptives can help lower the risk of endometrial and ovarian cancer.
- Using birth control helps treat acne.
- Birth control can help treat the pain caused by Endomitriosis.
- Contraceptives offer relief to people with Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS).
- Anemia can be avoided/treated by using birth control.
- Irregular periods can become more regulated by using birth control.
- The pill can lead to fewer ectopic pregnancies.MYTHS ABOUT BIRTH CONTROL (All the myths below are dispelled
through the links given):
- Emergency contraceptives and birth control pills cause abortions.
- Free contraceptives and/or condoms makes people participate in risky sexual behavior.
- The pill makes you gain a lot of weight.
- Douching after sex prevents pregnancy.
- You have to start your birth control on a Sunday.
- Taking the pill for a long time can make you infertile.
- Hormonal contraceptives protect you from contracting STIs.
- You don’t need to be on birth control while breastfeeding.
- I won’t get pregnant my first time having sex.
- The Pill is effective immediately after you take it.
- I won’t get pregnant if I shower or pee after sex.
- My body needs a rest from birth control at least once a year.
- Emergency contraceptives are affected by alcohol.
This is wonderful!
inkstainsonmyhands asked: I don't think you quite understand why people are so angry about you buying that video game. No one is telling you, you don't deserve medicine to live, but it seems as though you are taking advantage of the kindness people are bestowing upon you. Those 15 dollars could have gone into a savings for insulin, or towards essentials; instead it went into a game. When you are in a dire financial situation that requires donations to keep you alive, you can't afford to spend money elsewhere.
i didn’t spend the donation money on the fucking video game you asshole. leave me alone, i’m done talking about this.
It doesn’t matter where the money comes from, Kat, it matters that you spent money you could have otherwise used for your care towards something frivolous, and then flaunt it in front of people who care for your well-being. I think this conversation will continue, even if you aren’t a part of it, until you apologize to your followers. You violated a trust there. People trusted that you were in such a dire situation that you were on or near death’s door without their money. If that were actually the case, you wouldn’t have the means to buy that game.
You believe I’m coming from a place of hate, Kat, I am not. I just want you to see the error of your ways. It would go a long way into the relationships you have with people and your followers.
how about you go fuck yourself and i’ll go spend the money on what i fucking want. this shit keeps giving me way too much anxiety for my health and i want you to stop talking about me like you know every goddamn facet about my life.
I’m sorry if I upset you. That is not my goal. I’m just saying you should be more honest about your financial situation so people who are concerned for you don’t constantly stress about you. People care. I care.
Wow, look at this garbage human being. I’m so fucking tired of people like you, who say they care, but just want to micromanage how poor people spend their money. You don’t give a shit about this person. You just want to make sure they’re “poor enough” by your standards, so that you don’t “waste” your precious time and energy on them. I’m so exhausted of your kind of privileged asshole people, who think they have the right to judge someone living in poverty for buying a few things for themselves. Because poor people are supposed to be perpetually miserable, right? Poor people aren’t supposed to have fun video games, or nice clothes, or cell phones, or anything that could bring us a moment of comfort or joy. Who the fuck are you to judge how this person spends their money? Do you not comprehend how humiliating it is to even ask people for donations?! So now, on top of that humiliation, they’ve got YOU on their back, thinking your personal approval or disapproval of their purchases should mean a damn thing to them.
I’ve given money to folx on this website who said they needed it. Guess what? I didn’t go back to make sure they spent it on the thing they said they needed it for! WHY? Because I am not a self-important shit stain. I understand that they deserve all the comforts and happiness that I enjoy. I understand that whatever their needs for survival are, is their fucking business, and I have no right to judge. If I were to see them on the street, walking around with a new clothes and new shoes, I’m not gunna say “HEY I GAVE $20! YOU SAID YOU WERE GUNNA GET TOP SURGERY!” because I understand how poverty works, and I understand that when you are poor certain things hold value is worth far more than the money spent to have them. Happiness? Self-confidence? Comfort?Freedom? Safety? Those are valuable goods to ALL people, but poor people are the only ones expected to put a price on them.
What self-designated gatekeepers like you ultimately believe, what you have been conditioned to believe, is that the poor CHOOSE to be poor. You believe poor people are fucking lazy liars, who just want hand outs without the work or effort that Hard Working People Who Contribute To Society put in. You believe you will never be poor (or that if you somehow were, you’d “do it right”). You believe poor people are not smart.
Shame on you. You don’t care. You’re just a judemental classist asshole. Fuck every single illogical, judgmental, self righteous douchebag like you, who acts like poor people are supposed to be more than satisfied with some minimalist lifestyle, when you yourself would NEVER be happy with that. Fuck you for looking down on poor people, and passing off your abuse and harassment as concern. You are NOT a good person. Fuck you.
It’s easy to ignore conditions in the prison system. Once you’ve seen John Oliver’s tirade on the subject, though, it’s impossible not to care.
(GIFs via sandandglass)
France’s politicians and community leaders have criticised the “intolerable” violence against Paris’ Jewish community, after a pro-Palestinian rally led to the vandalizing and looting of Jewish businesses and the burning of cars. It is the third time in a week where pro-Palestinian activists have clashed with the city’s Jewish residents. On Sunday, locals reported chats of “Gas the Jews” and “Kill the Jews”, as rioters attacked businesses in the Sarcelles district, known as “little Jerusalem”.
Manuel Valls, France’s primeministersaid: “What happened in Sarcelles is intolerable. An attack on a synagogue and on a kosher shop is simply anti-Semitism. Nothing in France can justify this violence.”
Also from the article —
The government had banned a demonstration planned in Paris for Saturday, but posters were seen around the area which said “Come equipped with hammers, fire extinguishers and batons” and promised a “raid on the Jewish district”.
France has around half a million Jews, the biggest population in Europe, and around five million Muslims.
The Society for the Protection of the Jewish Community’s figures suggest that anti-Jewish violence is seven times higher than in the 1990s, and 40% of racist violence is against Jews, despite them making up just 1% of the population.
In March 2012, a shooting spree by Mohammed Merah in the south of France left three French soldiers, three Jewish schoolchildren and a rabbi dead. The gunman claimed a connection to al Qaeda.
More than a thousand Jews have made aliyah (the term used when Jews immigrate to Israel) in the past 10 days, according to the Israeli government.
"I came because of anti-Semitism,” said teary-eyed Veronique Rivka Buzaglo, one of 430 immigrants who arrived from France the day before.
:( :( :(
Dear Isaac: Or, How to Deal with Men’s Rights Activists
On the Inherent Privilege of White Culture: an examination of cultural appropriation
Looking Critically at Eugene Kanin’s Study Of False Rape Reportse
Supernatural and Queer Love: Destiel, Queer Baiting, and homophobia
The Scarlet Woman’s Sexposé #3: The Cat Food Conspiracy
Pacific Rim’s Mako Mori: Or, How to Write a Female Character